Making the Right Choice
There are a wide range of choices available in our area if you are thinking about senior communities or services. But, Resthaven is special.
Resthaven is special because of our mission to glorify God by providing a continuum of quality care and services that demonstrates the love and compassion of Jesus Christ. It sets the tone for everything we do.
• It’s special because it is a non-profit. That means that all donations and positive account balances go into serving seniors.
• It also means that we strive to reach higher and higher levels of quality. We want to give God our best by serving seniors in the best way possible.
• It also means that we’re community owned and governed. We’re accountable to a Board of community members—your friends and neighbors.
• We employ people inspired to serve God by serving seniors. That makes a tremendous difference every day in the lives of older adults.
• Volunteers are drawn to participate in our mission. We have 400+ certified volunteers, and many more who come to share music, plant gardens, or paint windows. We refer to them as the “Heart of Resthaven” with their bright smiles and sincere spirits.
• Once a part of Resthaven, we do everything possible to walk beside you as your needs change. You’ll never walk alone.
Now that you know about Resthaven, you need to know more about which services might be appropriate for your situation.
www.aahsa.org/choice.aspx • The American Association of Homes & Services for the Aging (AAHSA) is a national organization dedicated to providing quality homes and services to older adults. Resthaven is an active member of this gathering of non-profit organizations who are all dedicated to putting the welfare of residents ahead of profits.
www.aarp.org • The American Association of Retired People (AARP) offers good information in their “Caregiving” or “Housing Options” section • includes educational video clips (good if you have high-speed Internet)
Information Specific to Nursing Homes
Eden Alternative® • Resthaven aspires to the principles of the Eden Alternative • Wouldn’t you rather live in a garden than a “facility?”
Green House® Movement • Combining the principles of the Eden Alternative (above) with a made-to-order building. www.ncbcapitalimpact.org
Dr. Bill Thomas on the Eden Alternative • AARP video clip http://assets.aarp.org/external_sites/caregiving
Dr. Bill Thomas on the Green House® Movement • AARP, video clip http://assets.aarp.org/external_sites/
Nursing Homes: What to Ask • AARP web site article on selecting a nursing home http://assets.aarp.org/external_sites